Monday, July 19, 2010

CUPCAKES!

One of my favorite things to do in the Kitchen is to bake, (one day I aspire to own my own beautiful bakery) Kati is the cook while I am the baker. So just like everyone else one of my top favorite things to bake is cupcakes! Whats not to love about individual cakes that can be either smothered in frosting or just lightly coated and then decorated anyway you want based on your individual taste?

My love for cupcakes has made me almost obsessed to either taste one from any new bakery I stumble across…or madly search the web for my next desired cupcake outing.

Here are a few of my favorites and my next hopeful visits!






Kara’s Cupcakes in Palo Alto: This cute yet sleek and modern bakery just opened a few blocks away from my house. I love the décor, bubblegum pink walls and a streamlined glass case to simply display the cupcakes and all their glory. The company practices sustainability, using local ingredients, environmentally friendly packaging, green buildings etc. making me more than happy to support this local bay area business. They also have a delicious array of flavors, my personal favorite, Banana a simple banana cupcake with creamy cream cheese frosting.



SusieCakes in Los Angeles: The slogan for this adorable bakery is “An All-American Homestyle Bakery” and that it is. The cupcakes are big and smothered in delicious frosting and the cakes sit on top of the rounded glass case on individual cake stands. Although I’ve only been here once these amazing cupcakes left me wanting more and dreaming of their delicious chocolate peanut butter. Maybe I will visit their San Francisco location!



Sprinkes in Palo Alto: This infamous cupcake joint doesn’t need much introduction due to the fact that it is one of the first cupcake joints that helped start this fabulous trend, and who can resist their oversized cupcakes topped with a heaping mound of frosting, especially the moist red velvet. I will even wait fifteen minutes in line for one!



Magnolia Bakery in New York City: One of the most infamous cupcake bakeries, right along with Sprinkles and made famous by Carrie Bradshaw in Sex in the City. I recently visited New York City and could not resist a stop at the original bakery in Greenwich Village. The line was out the door and the weather was so hot and humid that there were multiple fans keeping the self-serve cupcakes cool. I grabbed a red velvet and traditional vanilla cupcake. Both of them were fantastic, the cake was light and perfectly sweet and the butter cream frosting was creamy and not over powering. It was also my first time having a red velvet cupcake with butter cream rather than cream cheese and it was delish!

Where my taste-buds are taking me….I hope!



Cups and Cakes Bakery in San Francisco: Their website is very retro and I absolutely love the creative cups they bake in! Featuring 26 different flavors and giving you the option of customizing your own who knows what I will try…maybe the grasshopper: dark chocolate cake with peppermint frosting, German chocolate or possibly customize my own!
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment